Wednesday 13 February 2008

Fairwell yon Blobs, we hardly knew ye...

BBC3 did a bit of a relaunch last night. Seeing as I have no life, this was a relatively big deal for me.

One thing that was on was a thing called 'Phoo Action', I'm going to talk about it for a bit: Phoo Action is like what a cop drama would be like if Noel Fielding scribbled all over it with crayons. Its set in 2012, (officially the most futuristic sounding year since 1996), and it follows the mutant-fighting 'sploits of Terry Phoo and Whitey Action (see, there names are the show's title, as the genre would demand). It was... alright, I guess. The BBC kind of has a problem where it seems completely unable to assign a coherent tone to its dramas, case in point, Torchwood. Phoo Action looks and feels like it belongs on CBBC, the main bad guys are a bunch of mutants and, while I'm sure their design looked good on paper, in real life they really only look acceptable to the eyes of children.

However, the female lead frequently wears very small pants, and sits with her legs wide open - the show is basically worth watching just for that. That, and pretty colours and what may turn out to be a decent double act, (hopefully).

Another thing that was on was 'Lily Allen and Friends'. This was as pleasantly surprising as the 'Charlotte Church Show' when that was first aired, and will probably get old just as fast. The twist with the show is that its content is in-part decided by Lily Allen's MySpace friends, which is 'interesting', if by 'interesting' I mean, 'I fucking hate young people'.

And this concludes the portion of the blog where I talk about Telly.

Tonight I'm going to go see the Subhumans. It will probably be the oldschooliest punk show I have ever attended. Yippee.

In other news. My laptop is still broke, and will continue to be broke for a long while and, when it finally does undergo the transition from broke back to not-broke, it will probably end up costing me around £200. Stupid technology...

2 comments:

Roo said...

I'm sad and annoyed, you can tell that instead of new and cool stuff that isn't very well known or viable enough for bbc2, bbc3 is going to be full of bbc1s rejects, and bbc1 can be pretty shit at times.

Joel said...

Phoo Action was pretty lame.
Y'know Shortsy McOpenlegs is Ray Winstone's daughter, which explains how she got on TV. Well, that and her legs.